Sunday, September 13, 2009

I Do Not Belong to any Subculture

I have never felt that I was gay in any way for once. The meaning of gay has sort of turned people who love people of the same gender into some sort of sub-culture thing and might just die away with the trend, once the mainstream no longer adopts this and thinks this as 'cool'.

Because, being gay is not about cool, dressing differently or not conforming to societal standard (I know this is debatable, which really raises the question of what is 'societal standard' for love). It is not like being into Gothic, dressing differently in any sense. I do not dress differently from normal people, do not have very differing or radical views about politics, religions, nor do I speak differently or act different because I hate the society, the majorities and what they are doing. I do not live a different lifestyle than any other normal single, working, middle incomers. I hold on and dearly respect authority and any good system in place in the world now.

I do not 'identify' myself with group of people who love the 'The L Word', and some even tried to identify themselves with the characters or their relationship from this drama. The reason is really because I do not identify myself with people who love Ally McBeal, or Closer, or any other dramas that I am addicted to as well.

Loving people from the same gender should never be anything that needs to be 'identified' or 'grouped'. Just like heterosexual never really identify themselves as being heterosexual. That is what it is. It should be normal.

In my ideal world, homo and heterosexual (no, the words are not in preferential order) should always be able to discuss relationships together. The 'ideal' conversation between a married heterosexual and homosexual should be like this...

HE (Heterosexual female), HO (Homosexual female)

HE: ... but I just cannot stand my husband for leaving out his smelly socks on the floor, just like that. He should just throw it into the laundry directly, after taking it off! Oh...

HO: Oh yes, it's gross isn't it? I cannot stand smell in the house. Everytime when my wife is drunk from her social gathering and stuff, I made her go bathe first before even collapsing to the sofa in the living room. If it takes me to shower for the fourth time in a day, I will do just that to clean her up.

HE: Well.. does she? Is it really a must to get that drunk everytime she goes out? My husband goes to man nights' out with his friends at sports bar and get himself drunk sometimes, but he knows when to stop, which is good...

HE: Good for you. I don't really know why she has to be, I've told her off a few times before, you know. But maybe is just the setting, the limit is that she still knows how to come back home and be able to open the door with the right keys!... *conversation continues*

Which really, is not too difficult, right? So long as between friends, the frequency matches, like what I always say. Straight people could love 'The L Word' to death, just like any gay people who loves 'Ally McBeal' to death. They could, of course identify themselves with any characters in the drama, and it does not have to stand out into the sterotypical 'sub-culture identification' kind of way.

Drop the identification, or self-identification, and just say that I am in love with somebody. This, I think, should ultimately be what I am looking for, and should NEVER be of difference to any human beings seeking love in another human being.

Just. Really, just make be normal. Don't hold put a logo, or identify icons, or mark places with flags like it is another country. And, most importantly of all, it should NEVER be of any topic to debate in politics or religions, okay?

Tell me again, why should be gay be ever so different that people on the subway would look at you like you are not wearing a shred of cloth on your body?

No comments:

Post a Comment